Day 13 Calm in the Storm

My Beautiful Cousins




This morning as I was having my cup of tea, something I was reading touched me so that I began weeping at the awesomeness of the human spirit, especially in the most difficult times. I know some of you have suffered mightily too, and so you also stand as a shining beacon for me, and I'm sure for those around you, in times like we are experiencing. Our hearts are broken open at different times in our lives, and those times have helped prepare us for this time. 

The breaking open of our hearts, remind us of who we are, who we are meant to be, and who we've become despite the best and worst of times that we've experienced. Our lives are a precious gift, and in each moment, when we may be least able to discern or understand it, we have something to celebrate and share. We are called upon now to allow our inner strength to rise up to meet and greet each day, each new challenge, and each new unexpected gift.  

For me, prayer has always been a quiet conversation with the Divine, sometimes with me doing all the talking, other times we with  my seeking answers in the quiet and beauty and messes around me. Always there has been a knowledge, an awareness of that pure, beautiful Divine energy that infuses each of us and the entire Universe and beyond. Not the Santa Claus god who delivers wishes and toys on a whim, nor the distant, cold, unknowable god that punisheds, judges, and wreaks havoc on us. My understanding is that we, as Divine creations reflect the best of Divine beauty, truth, light, and healing. And that our purpose on this Earth is to share the light and love with others as an expression of our doing what we're here for---to make the world a better place and to become the best of who we are whether we are alone or in the company of others. And this is the case in the good times as it is in the not so good.   

As we each experience this ongoing traumatic shift of our world and our lives, I've heard more people say, "people show you who they are when times get rough".  Something we've all heard I'm guessing. Yet when I get upset or angry when I hear the worst kinds of stupidity and lack of caring come out of someone's mouth, I turn to those who are working hard to making things better. Those who put themselves on the front lines, often at their own peril, show us who they are. They bring out the best in themselves, and also in us. When I watch as those who are still working and balancing more responsibilities than ever, when I watch them rise to the occasion, I am buoyed on any sea of despair I may be floating in.  

Not one to cry much, I have been a fountain of tears over the last few days, as I listen to, read about, see, and learn about what others are doing to keep fighting and inspiring, healing and trying to do their best.  Family, friends, neighbors, and strangers are doing what they can for others, and in the process are finding more meaning. What comes to mind as I reflect on the storm we are weathering (for we are weathering it), are some of the words of wisdom my Mother used to tell me. One of her favorite scriptures was Proverbs 3:5-6, "Lean not unto thine own understanding, but in all thy ways acknowledge God, and God will direct thy paths."  

She would also insist that we rely on our own resources, and by that she meant our inner resources. Our minds. Our imaginations. Our innate talents and skills, and our curiosity and ability to choose to act or not.  She made me aware from early childhood, that what mattered in life was to trust that inner knowing, that intuition that we couldn't quite put our finger on, but which in nearly every case, was like an early warning system, helping us guide ourselves and those in our charge, along the right path. 

When I was suddenly compelled to take an 8-week refresher course on Coping with Trauma-related Stress last summer, I wondered why on earth I was doing it. It turns out, that the work I'd done 20 years ago, was as relevant now as it was then, and would become even more so now. I'm guessing that some of you are wondering why you made choices you did in the past, and many are probably thankful for the skills and talents you have nurtured and honed. Who we are and what we have done to become this person today, is part of our preparation for meeting the times we live in.  What are some of the struggles, challenges, lessons, or gifts you've gathered to help you at this time in your life? What and who are you most grateful for?  

Wherever you are in your experience today, I'm hoping you are finding support and ways to find some calm. When you feel yourself in distress, I urge you to reach out to a trusted friend or relative, to take time to rest and nourish you heart and your head, and to give yourself permission to be peaceful even when the seas are roughest.  One of the highest compliments I've ever received was from my Mother, on her death bed. She gently touched my hand, as I gave her her last sip of water, and said, "You have a cool head."  I knew that she was telling me that though I wasn't weeping and falling apart, I wasn't trying to tell everyone how to feel, and I wasn't able to fix a thing, my calm and steady hand helped her in the way that she needed. 

When we feel least able to fix anything or change circumstances, we need to let ourselves find whatever that simple gift is that we possess that we CAN share when we feel least capable. May you be at peace with the simple gifts of life, the ones always at your command. Kindness. Calm. Tenderness. Laughter. Comfort. Generosity. Presence. Thank you all for your simple gifts---all part of what helps calm our hearts and minds during this storm.







Comments

Popular Posts